Transferable Skills to Add on Your Resume & LinkedIn Profile
USE YOUR PAST EXPERIENCES TO MARKET YOURSELF
Transferable skills help you market yourself to employers and highlight past experiences that apply to the new role you’re applying to. They’re especially important if you have little experience (like recent college grads) or are considering changing careers.
Think about the transferable skills you already have:
- Communication skills (e.g. speaking, collaboration, writing)
- Strategic skills (e.g. strategic planning, critical thinking, management)
- Problem solving skills (e.g. setting goals, project management, decision making)
- Organizational skills (e.g. reliability, follow through, time management)
- Interpersonal skills (e.g. empathy, customer service, leadership)
ADD SKILLS THAT SET YOU APART
You can tailor your resume for job applications, and include transferable skills that apply to the role. Start by identifying your skills, then customize your resume as needed. You can add skills to a ‘skills’ section but also add them into experience sections as you elaborate on past experiences.
Download and use this worksheet to define your list of transferable skills to market yourself on your resume and LinkedIn profile.